
Well this weekend at Auburn definitely did not go as planned. I think every time I have ever raced at Auburn it has been a muddy mess. Early in the week my dad had to go away for work, and was planning on being home Thursday. I got a call from my mom on Thursday saying that Dad wasn’t going to be home to take me riding, so I was going to have to find a ride. She took it to mean racing on the weekend, and passed it on to me. So I called up my friend Thomas, who was awesome enough to stop by my house and pick up my bike for me to take up to Auburn. After this happened I gave my dad a call, to let him know I found a ride. He had no idea what I was talking about, and wondered why I would have found a ride. Turns out, the call he made to my mom was for riding on Thursday night, for practice since we usually ride Tuesdays and Thursdays. It was just a mess of miscommunication. Cell phones can be our greatest friends, but sometimes the messages get lost in translation, just like that old telephone game from when we were kids. My dad ended up getting home from his work trip Friday afternoon, and he hooked up the trailer and we headed out. Again we took Jakey with us, and despite him being almost full grown now, he still thinks he is a puppy. He sat on my lap and drooled the entire 3 hour trip.
When we got to the track the sun was shining and it was nice and warm. The track looked mint and I was super excited to finally get to ride Auburn again after over a year of not being there. We had a nice bonfire with the Cook’s and Chantel stole my blackberry for some facebook catch-up. I don’t think I slept much that night, I don’t know why I just could not fall asleep no matter how hard I tried. The next morning we awoke to that familiar pitter patter on the metal roof. At rider’s meeting it was just misting and spitting a little bit but the rains were on their way. By the time practice started it was raining and the track was pretty greasy. The rain got harder and harder, and by the time the motos came it was a mess. When I was about to head down to the line the rain stopped and the sun started peaking out, but the pits and track were already sloppy. On my way down to the line, we had to cross through this big puddle, it was unavoidable. I had my dad on the back doubling him to the line, and as I plowed in my front wheel just dropped away from me and the back end slid away. There must have been some ruts hidden under the water I didn’t see and my dad and I went for a swim. I can’t even express how much it sucked! Here it was, stopped raining and I was soaked head to toe.
While we were waiting on the line, the head ref called us all over to check out the track changes. They had to cut out the back sections and the steep hill as it was dangerous and nobody was making it around. The starting line was complete mush. When I dropped the clutch for the start and started out into the slop, the bike just died. What an awesome way to start the day, fell in a puddle was wet, and I just stalled on the start. I got going but was already far enough behind. I was able to make some passes and work up to around 6th, but the track was a mess. I was pretty pissed with myself to say the least. I really hate mud!
Just after my moto, the sun came out and it the track appeared to be drying up a bit. Then the winds came. The pop up went flying into the neighbours trailer. Sorry Guys! The rain then started coming down hard. The track got worse and worse, and by the end of first motos the decision was made to cancel the rest of the day. 3 of my buddies, Matt, James, Garret and I took shelter in my trailer until the rains slowed down, and then we packed up and headed home. Overall it was a really disappointing weekend, and hopefully next race is a little better. I have a few weekends off to get some more riding time in for the next one.
When we got to the track the sun was shining and it was nice and warm. The track looked mint and I was super excited to finally get to ride Auburn again after over a year of not being there. We had a nice bonfire with the Cook’s and Chantel stole my blackberry for some facebook catch-up. I don’t think I slept much that night, I don’t know why I just could not fall asleep no matter how hard I tried. The next morning we awoke to that familiar pitter patter on the metal roof. At rider’s meeting it was just misting and spitting a little bit but the rains were on their way. By the time practice started it was raining and the track was pretty greasy. The rain got harder and harder, and by the time the motos came it was a mess. When I was about to head down to the line the rain stopped and the sun started peaking out, but the pits and track were already sloppy. On my way down to the line, we had to cross through this big puddle, it was unavoidable. I had my dad on the back doubling him to the line, and as I plowed in my front wheel just dropped away from me and the back end slid away. There must have been some ruts hidden under the water I didn’t see and my dad and I went for a swim. I can’t even express how much it sucked! Here it was, stopped raining and I was soaked head to toe.
While we were waiting on the line, the head ref called us all over to check out the track changes. They had to cut out the back sections and the steep hill as it was dangerous and nobody was making it around. The starting line was complete mush. When I dropped the clutch for the start and started out into the slop, the bike just died. What an awesome way to start the day, fell in a puddle was wet, and I just stalled on the start. I got going but was already far enough behind. I was able to make some passes and work up to around 6th, but the track was a mess. I was pretty pissed with myself to say the least. I really hate mud!
Just after my moto, the sun came out and it the track appeared to be drying up a bit. Then the winds came. The pop up went flying into the neighbours trailer. Sorry Guys! The rain then started coming down hard. The track got worse and worse, and by the end of first motos the decision was made to cancel the rest of the day. 3 of my buddies, Matt, James, Garret and I took shelter in my trailer until the rains slowed down, and then we packed up and headed home. Overall it was a really disappointing weekend, and hopefully next race is a little better. I have a few weekends off to get some more riding time in for the next one.
No comments:
Post a Comment