Monday, August 24, 2009

*~Casondra 787~*


By the Thursday before Sand Del Lee, I still wasn’t even sure if I was going to be able to go. I couldn’t find anyone to go with, and was pretty much planning on going alone. I basically begged my brother into coming with me, and by Thursday night had him agreeing to go. The trip was on! Friday morning I loaded up Jody’s trusty S10 and we were on the road by noon. I’ve been to SDL so many times I pretty much know the way, and was on auto pilot most of the way. We rolled into the pits, and immediately came across my New York boys Ron and Chris and decided to set up camp with them again. They had brought up their motorhome this time and had the big fancy set up, while I was pitted outta the S10, and sleeping in the front seat again. My brother had brought along his little camp stove he has for his hiking adventures, and we cooked up some pasta for dinner. Shortly after I filled up the water barrel I got a text from my friend Jeff who offered up his hotel room to me. Of course I took the offer, a bed over the front seat of the truck was sounding pretty good! The only problem was with the barrel filled up, the tailgate wouldn’t close with the bike in there too. I was able to rig up some tie down straps to make a harness and just drove easy and slow out the Kanata to the hotel. I threw my bike right in their room and was able to get a nice comfy sleep. Saturday morning I got up early, and Jeff helped me load up my bike and I was headed back to the track to race amateur day. I stopped at Tim Hortons to grab my brother and I breakfast and was back at the track in good time. As I went to sign in, I couldn’t find my wallet anywhere, I started to panic a little, and then it hit me. I had set it on the roof of the truck when I was putting the coffees in the holders. Immediately Blaze grabbed my cell and got on 411 to find the phone number, and we tore out to find it. We called Tim Hortons and asked them to look in the parking lot as we kept our eyes peeled on the side of the road. Not thinking about the bike, I was driving in panic mode. Not so good when theres a full water barrel in the back. It didn’t take long before the water barrel slid, and bam the bike fell over. So here I was in a panic about my wallet, in the middle of the road trying to tie my bike back down. I was almost in tears by the time we hit Tim Hortons. My bro went next door to ask if anyone there found it, and I went inside. I couldn’t believe it when they handed me my wallet, with all my cash and credit cards still inside! I was so relieved, but it sucked because by this time I had missed sign up for the day, and wasn’t going to be racing today. I unloaded, and headed over to sign in and got my bike through Tech and watched from the sidelines. Saturday night I slept in the front seat of the truck, and was up bright and early for riders meeting. I didn’t feel well, and once rider’s meeting was over I went back to bed for a few hours. Practise came around and went well, the track had some incredibly long straightaways! First moto I had a terrible start, and was way back in the pack. Before halfway my arms started pumping up really bad and I was bracing for a brutal moto, but surprisingly I started to loosen back up again and picked off a bunch of people the last few laps. Before my second moto when I was getting ready to go to the line, the bike decided it wasn’t going to start. Ron helped me out and eventually we got it going. When I got down to the line, same thing…bike wouldn’t start, I had to hold the line up, and some mechanics on the line were nice enough to help me out and give me a bump. I’m not sure who they were exactly but thank you so much to all of you!! My start went much the same, and all I could think about was don’t stall because you won’t get going again!! I finished the day in 14th, enough to earn me 14th in the women’s national series. We loaded up and started the trek home. We stopped quickly for some food, and ran into the KTM team of Fitzgerald and Ofarrel, along with their man friend Kuli at DQ. Who can resist an ice cream after a long hot day of moto? The trip home was another experience of being half asleep at the wheel and getting friendly with rumble strips. It’s really tough racing a national all day and then driving yourself home. I know I’m not the only one who does it, I have mad respect for those who do. I’ve learned this summer what it’s like to be a real true privateer again. I spent a lot of time in the front seat of the truck this summer. We got home by about 2am, and unloaded the truck. I was up bright and early Monday packing the trailer for Walton. My dad headed out by noon with the trailer, and I left around 5. I will do a Walton report in another blog though! I really can’t believe how fast the nationals went by, it’s really sad in a way, but also amazing. I had the greatest summer I could have ever imagined in terms of travelling and having some really cool experiences. My results weren’t as great as they could have maybe been, but I am proud to say I did the whole series, basically on my own. I can’t thank my brother enough for this summer. We both had incredible adventures this summer travelling coast to coast. Part of it we got to experience together and part of it on our own travels. He was on the line with me at Calgary, Riverglade, and Sand Del Lee. I wouldn’t have been able to do it without him thank you so much Blaze I love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment